From: "Klaque Grackle" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 4:24 PM
Subject: [VTBIRD] tired (?) redpolls

Yesterday we had a lone female redpoll under the feeder here in Barnard who
was behaving unusually...she stayed on the ground, although she could manage
very short low flights, & held her wings out and down, and g- Her general
aspect suggested that she was ill, stunned from a window strike, or at least
greatly fatigued.  We had 4-8 other redpolls who were at another feeder,
behaving normally.  This morning we checked to see if the redpoll made it
through the night...didn't spot her, but did have another lone redpoll
behaving in a similar exhausted fashion.  Anyone else observing this?  Are
these birds early migrants falling out in our yard, perhaps?  Thoughts?

Kate Olgiati
Barnard VT