Yesterday our flock of Common Redpolls swelled to near 100.  I did not
have any time to spend scanning them.  Then, just at about sunset, all
birds had left the yard except one.  It was on the thistle feeder, and
it caught my eye because it was so bright.  Closer inspection with my
bins brought up a redpoll with an attenuated red cap on a very light
grayish-white head, a squared off face with a small pencil pointed bill,
faint flank streaking, the very faintest pink wash on a shimmering white
chest and perfectly markless dazzling white undertail coverts ruffling
slightly in the breeze.  All in all, this bird was stouter and rounder
than all the other redpolls I have seen this year, and very charcoally
gray in contrast to its brilliant white area.  I have not seen this bird
before, and not one redpoll was present this morning.

Paula Gills
Brookfield