>Let's take the "facts" as reported by various media<

I didn't read anywhere about what actually happened. It does seem to me hard
to believe that a 79 year old was skiing fast enough to not only cause the
collision but to kill himself and to break the guys clavicle.

>Likely, the snowboarder was not charged because the skier ran onto him
from behind.<

I don't think this is true. He liekly hasn't been charged because there is
more likely a motive for the ski area to keep this incident framed up as an
unfortunate "accident". Ski areas for the most part refuse to address
reckless skiing and riding. They won't stop people or pull tickets. They
refuse to recognize the problem and by doing so prob hope to avoid any
responsibility for it.

>Is there a widely held theory among skiers that a skier is immune from
liability for ramming a snowboarder from behind<

This is ridiculous.There is no such belief. Skiers and Riders are equally
inept at following the respnsibility code. I do not see one group as more
reckless than the other. There are quite stupid people in each group. Last
weekend I was hit from behind by a skier at Stratton who proceeded to
chastise me for skiing back and forth across the whole run while his 10 year
old son watched. So the next generation of reckless and irresponsible skiers
is already being reared.

>The view that snowboarders are always responsible has been handed down over
the years

This is not true

>first began blocking
trails in large groups, ruining mogul fields and pushing snow off the
slopes in the 1970s or 80s.

Yes blocking trails was a problem but through the passing on of the rules of
the road this has been diminished. Yes SB's do ruin mogul fields but no more
so than horrible skiers and we do need to give them props for the grooming
they do in the woods.

>Soon, skiers will be clamoring for skier half-pipe competitions and
skicross as Olympic sports. Moguls and aerials don't cut it anymore?

The fact remians that watrching skiers in a pipe or a crossremians far more
exciting. They go bigger and do better tricks. I personally welcome
snowboarding, it's a great sport for people who can't learn to ski.