On 2/20/06, James Dugan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> If they won you wouldn't be questioning anything.  How about the hair-do on
> the Italian CC skier nicknamed Zorro?  He came through in the clutch.  He
> can look like anything he wants to.   Jimski

Exactly my point.  You can wear/do what you want when you win.

See below my reply to my sister who tried to defend them (recall that
she and Resi are neighbors in Jackson):

"I'm a huge fan of both of them, but for Julia and Resi to be wearing
ridiculous outfits and preening around the finish area like they
actually won something was out-of-hand.  And both runs they did this!

They might think it was cool to have some wacky outfits on and to have
that on Olympic footage for the rest of their lives - but you know
what?  Nobody cares about you if finish 9th or 11th or whatever.  You
could ski naked.  Doesn't matter - nobody.

It would not have even been appropriate in a J4 race in Mid-Vermont
VARA racing.  It was completely out of context.  Tomba never even
acted like that after he swept both golds at Calgary in '88!

"Act like you've been there before" - never a better way to describe it.

I mean, my gosh, the "punk" snowboarders acted with more dignity - and
they actually won something.  Even Lindsey Jacobellis, another 20 year
old - who GAVE AWAY A GOLD MEDAL on a stupid showboat trick - showed
way more class and maturity than they did.

They have A LOT of growing up to do."