A little late, but...

Please do make the change.  It makes little sense to mandate Spam-O-Matic
style Mail-filtering-as-rocket-science as was suggested for the sake of
avoiding a minor inconvenience for a few subscribers (the zoo -> [not]zoo
change was far worse).  The spammers ratchet up their skills far faster
than we implement convoluted filtering.  No reason for non-subscribers to
be able to post.

	David Houston
	University of Vermont
	Phone: (802) 656 2013
	**
        "You are nestled in our hearts forever"
        **

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006, Geoffrey Duke intoned:

GD:Hi, IT-Discuss readers;
GD:
GD:There has been some discussion about the amount of spam that comes through
GD:IT-Discuss, and possible ways to reduce it. The list already requires that
GD:senders are using a uvm.edu email address. Spammers, however, routinely
GD:forge their From: addresses to make their messages appear to be legitimate
GD:UVM mail.
GD:
GD:One option would be to only allow subscribers of IT-Discuss to post to the
GD:list. This may create an inconvenience for some subscribers because UVM
GD:email addresses can take several forms. Some folks would need to adjust
GD:their subscriptions.
GD:
GD:I'm willing to adjust the list configuration if the community feels the
GD:change is helpful and the subscription housekeeping issue is minor.
GD:
GD:Please let me know what you think.
GD:
GD:--
GD:Geoff
GD:
GD:"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
GD:than to those attending too small a degree of it."    - Thomas Jefferson
GD: