I "third" or "fourth" that.
Walden School (preK-8, 110-120 students; 20% FTE tech - me) has used a low-end Sonic Wall filter for a couple of years. It has been painless. I've had no requests in about 2 years from faculty about specific sites they wanted unblocked. I edited the blocking screen text so that my name and contact information appear. The school library is also the town library. I told the town-person responsible for the town library's 2 Gates computers that I could show them how to get around the filter, should it be needed. He has never asked.

Someday I may get around to setting up a linux server running free software to replace or supplement the SonicWall. But 20-25% time makes that difficult.
Sigurd

Neil Manders wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
I would have to agree with David on this one. As much as I hate the idea
of having to purchase the Sonicwall and then pay (after the first year) a
yearly subscription fee, I have to say that it works and meets CIPA
requirements. A non-technical person, with minimum training, can do a
fairly good job at maintaining and minor changes that might be needed in
regards to specific sites or special needs.
We are using this solution in about 7 of our 8 elementary schools all of
whom do not have any regular techie installed.
nm

School Information Technology Discussion <[log in to unmask]> on