At SBHS, we are piloting a nice CMS (Course Management System) that
provides forums and even Wikis in a login-protected environment
accessible on either side of our firewall, in addition to all the other
features you would expect in a CMS. The software was very easy to setup
on Linux, and should work on any webserver that supports PHP/MySQL.  So
far, it's been working like a charm.  The software is called Claroline,
http://www.claroline.net, is currently in use in at least 575
organizations from 70 countries, and is free, open-source.

Stephen Barner
South Burlington High School
550 Dorset Street
South Burlington, VT 05403
(802) 652-7015
(802) 652-7013 (Fax)
http://sbhs.sbschools.net
http://vtacad.net
---

"When we study music, we practice... because there is no other way to
become a musician. Neither can we become engineers by just studying a
textbook, because practical experience is needed to correlate the
so-called theory with practice." Charles Franklin Kettering

What are others using for threaded discussions?  I know that GroupWise
has this as well as First Class.  We have also tried Virtual Office
(Netware product) - but it is a bit slow and clunky.  A blog is not
really what I am looking for so blogspot or the like wouldn't quite
work
either.  I have a nicenet.org account as well and this would work ok.
But I really need something a little better.  Any ideas?

Thanks, Jeff

This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family
Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).  If this e-mail contains
student information and you are not entitled to access such information
under FERPA, please notify the sender.  Federal regulations require that
you destroy this e-mail without reviewing it and you may not forward it
to anyone.