I've seen computers not recognize a device that is plugged into a PS/2
port once the computer is running Windows, but I've never seen one have
a permanent problem due to something being plugged in or unplugged while
the machine was running.  Doesn't mean that it can't happen, though.
They are not designed to be hot-swapped.

Then there was the guy who tried to change a video card while the
machine was running. Fried the motherboard. Really.

--Steve Barner, South Burlington High School

I had a student take off with a keyboard from a running machine, anyone
KNOW why it is bad or have any experience or a place to document (I
looked) that it is potentially damaging to unplug a ps/2 device with the
computer running.

R.

"If the pointing device is connected with a PS/2 plug or a PS/2 adaptor
plug, shut down and turn off the computer, and then unplug the PS/2
connector from the computer's PS/2 mouse port. "
https://www.mind.ca/helpfiles/ramosmic106/cleanoptical.htm