From: UVM Flownet [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jim Baun,
RVT
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2006 10:25 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Plaque characterization

Agreed.  But this isn't about common sense.  It's about peer-reviewed,
statistically correlated clinical data obtained from controlled studies.  In
the 1980s the vascular surg lit. strongly supported the correlation between
plaque types and clincial outomes (cva).  In the 1990s, the radiology lit.
demonstrated little if any correlation. The pendulum appears to be swinging
again with recent studies showing ugly plaques = bad outcomes.

This is a broad historical comment and I haven't had time to do a
meta-analysis of all the data acquired over the past 20 years, but on
balance, I believe the data would support the conclusion that heterogeneity,
irregular plaque surface, and intraplaque hemorhage all have been
associated with higher morbidity and mortality over the years.

jim baun