Bill, I think you are absolutely right. Percent stenosis is an
inferred value that is derived from velocity/frequency shift and
there are as many potential "recipes" for that inferrence as there
are vascular labs. It would be very interesting to go back to the
original NASCET and ACAS data and correlate ICA velocities or
velocity ratios with stroke rate. At the end of the day, a derived
percent stenosis might turn out to be a less reliable and less
reproducible predictor of stroke risk than the velocity/frequency
data that percent stenosis is derived from.
Jeff Field