Bill, I think you are absolutely right. Percent stenosis is an inferred value that is derived from velocity/frequency shift and there are as many potential "recipes" for that inferrence as there are vascular labs. It would be very interesting to go back to the original NASCET and ACAS data and correlate ICA velocities or velocity ratios with stroke rate. At the end of the day, a derived percent stenosis might turn out to be a less reliable and less reproducible predictor of stroke risk than the velocity/frequency data that percent stenosis is derived from.
Jeff Field