Hi Dayle Ann,
Nope, not a Veery.  I haven't heard it at all for the last few days.  I definitely know what it 'isn't'..... it must be a bird that lives in this particular habitat because I've never heard it in 30 + years of birding, until we moved to this farm in Pownal.  This bird has a very mournful whistle/call , descending in 4 to 5 notes. The first note is held a bit longer than the following ones  It is also a bird that lives here year round or returns very early in the spring.  Guess I'm going to have to find a way to record it later in the spring when it is more consistently present and calling.
Mundi
Pownal

The bird that comes to my mind with a descending "whistling" call is the
Veery.   It's very lovely to listen to, very flutey.  Veeries are ground
foragers: they like to be in low shrubs and brush, and can be difficult to
spot.

Dayle Ann
Brandon.