From: Vermont Birds [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mundi Smithers
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2006 2:46 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Spring sounds

Hi Dayle Ann,
Nope, not a Veery.  I haven't heard it at all for the last few days.  I
definitely know what it 'isn't'..... it must be a bird that lives in this
particular habitat because I've never heard it in 30 + years of birding,
until we moved to this farm in Pownal.  This bird has a very mournful
whistle/call , descending in 4 to 5 notes. The first note is held a bit
longer than the following ones  It is also a bird that lives here year round
or returns very early in the spring.  Guess I'm going to have to find a way
to record it later in the spring when it is more consistently present and
calling.
Mundi
Pownal

The bird that comes to my mind with a descending "whistling" call is the
Veery.   It's very lovely to listen to, very flutey.  Veeries are ground
foragers: they like to be in low shrubs and brush, and can be difficult to
spot.

Dayle Ann
Brandon.