I visited the lake access area on Cedar Beach Road in Charlotte this morning (24 March 2006) from 6:30 to 6:45, and saw many of the same waterfowl that others have seen there recently:

  Ring-necked Duck--about 40 individuals, mostly males; these birds were very distant, located all the way across Converse Bay
  Common Merganser--25 individuals, with an even mix of males and females
  Gadwall--six individuals (4 m, 2 f)
  Bufflehead--six individuals (3 m, 3 f)
  Hooded Merganser--four individuals (2 m, 2 f)
  Greater Scaup--one male
  Mallard--one male
  Canada Goose--a few birds on the water, and a few small skeins in the air
  Ring-billed Gull--several very vocal birds on the water

  While scoping the perfectly calm water, I also heard the song of one of the PINE SISKINS in the neighborhood, and eventually saw one siskin chasing a second one.  Also heard singing in the area were TUFTED TITMOUSE, BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEE, NORTHERN CARDINAL, and RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD.  The neighborhood COOPER'S HAWK also called once.

  On the way into work, I noticed the BOHEMIAN WAXWINGS descending on the fruiting trees at the Charlotte Town Library again.  From my very quick look, I would guess that there were at least 25 birds.

  Finally, just across the town line in Shelburne, a TURKEY VULTURE was trying to gain altitude over Rt. 7.

  Good birding,
  Matt Medler
  Charlotte