-----Original Message-----
From: Vermont Skiing Discussion and Snow Reports
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Marc Chrusch
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 12:48 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SKIVT-L] Only 20 Days Left

Wes wrote:
>On Mar 14, 2006, at 9:35 AM, T O S wrote:
> > 20 days left of what, where?
> >
>My guess: Jackson Hole Tram.

Pardon me for lacking sufficient skiing romanticism, but frankly I've
never understood the cultish reverence some have for aging/ancient
uphill conveyance contraptions - the JH Tram, Sugarloaf Gondi, MRG
Single, et al. Icons? Sure. Symbol for an area? Of course. Drenched
in history? Without a doubt. But when their time came/comes, I don't
get all the hand-wringing. Just dismantle the suckers and replace
them (or not) with something new and in a finically responsible* manner.

Obviously I'm not a real skier...and probably a terminal intermediate, too.

*My understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) is that replacing the MRG
single with a double would have been cheaper than refurbishing the
single. Put on half as many chairs and the uphill capacity isn't
altered. But hey, it's their co-op and their vote - I really don't care.

-marc