I gotta agree w/ Tag.  I've skied the Hobacks on a powder day and they
are as good as it gets for lift serviced skiing.

Top 5 ski areas in NA (skied)
JH - steeps, snow, and lift accessed bc is second to none
Silverton - steep, steep, steep, snow, snow, snow... only 80 skiers a
day and 4 days/wk
Alta/Snowbird
Squaw - ever watch Blizzard of Ahhh's?
MRG - home mt. that still excites and challenges me.  If you can ski
Octo/Chimney/Dragon coaster, nothing will intimidate you.

Hon mention: Telluride - best ski town

Top 5 ski areas in NA (wish list)
Whistler/Blackcomb
Aspen/Highlands/Snowmass
Taos
Red/Whitewater/Fernie
Big Sky/Moonlight Basin

resorts are grouped together because I figure they can be hit on the
same trip