Lost is a pretty strong word.  At first we thought we knew
approximately where we were, then after checking the compass we knew
exactly where we approximately were.

No, there was no bickering.  When we realized exactly where we
approximately were, we had to decide our course of action.  I went
with the standard, "when in doubt, ski it out" suggestion of heading
downhill and hitching around.  This will not always be fun, but it
will do the trick virtually anywhere in Vermont.  Evan suggested that
we hike back up, retracing our steps.  Often, this gets truly lost
skiers into more trouble, however, Evan pointed out that we were
probably only about 400 vertical feet below the ridgeline and that the
crust would support our way and prevent us from posthole misery.
Brian and I agreed with Evan's points.  We all agreed that we should
stick strictly to our downhill ski tracks.  The bonus was that we
would still be able to ski down Hell Brook.  If there hadn't been the
firm crust lurking below and the snow was seemingly bottomless, or if
it were later in the day or if we were much lower, I would have pushed
hard to descend Thunderbasin.

--Matt K.