There is a considerable amount of commentary on The Great Transformation at
Darwiniana.com

Some Links to blog entries on Axial Age and Armstrong's new book at that  blog
_Karen  Armstrong on Axial Age_
(http://darwiniana.com/2005/11/20/karen-armstrong-on-axial-age/)      20 Nov 2005 by nemo
What is Enlightenment? magazine, issue 31,  has an article on Karen Armstrong
and the supposed ‘Second  Axial Age’. Text is listed below, after my
commentary.
This page  updates a post from a few days ago, and is also available at  ...
 (http://darwiniana.com/) _Second Axial  again_
(http://darwiniana.com/2006/04/03/second-axial-again/)      3 Apr 2006 by nemo
Because of the parallels with the Axial  Age, Armstrong believes, it’s highly
possible that the world  is at another religious turning point. “In every
single
case, the  catalyst of major religious change was revulsion from warfare and
 (http://darwiniana.com/) _Gearing  up for the Armstrong mess_
(http://darwiniana.com/2006/03/02/gearing-up-for-the-armstrong-mess/)      2 Mar 2006 by
nemo
I have been waiting for Karen  Armstrong’s new book The Great Transformation
on the
Axial  Age. Based on her previous remarks in earlier books, with a short
version
in The History of Myth, the result is going to make a complete  mess of ...
 (http://darwiniana.com/) _Armstrong’s  crypto-fundamentalism?_
(http://darwiniana.com/2006/03/02/armstrongs-crypto-fundamentalism/)      2 Mar 2006 by
nemo
We are presently in the Second Axial  Age according to religious scholar,
Karen
Armstrong. In her  book, The Battle for God, Armstrong says the Second Axial
Age
began in the early 20th century– a time when “people were  trying to find
new ...
 (http://darwiniana.com/) _Axial/Armstrong  links_
(http://darwiniana.com/2006/04/03/axialarmstrong-links/)      3 Apr 2006 by nemo
I have collected together the links on this  blog on the Axial Age/Karen
Armstrong
question.
_Armstrong and  Dalai Lama_
(http://darwiniana.com/2006/04/17/armstrong-atheist/)      17 Apr 2006 by nemo
Sorry to keep harping on Armstrong,  but she has wrecked the question of the
Axial
Age. Karl  Jaspers’ book isn’t even in print. My careful periodization
structure
to examine and approach its complex study, because it  challenges Darwin, ...
 (http://darwiniana.com/) _No Second Axial  Age_
(http://darwiniana.com/2006/01/31/no-second-axial-age/)      31 Jan 2006 by nemo
I got an email from someone who had read an  amazon review of mine on
Armstrong’s
Battle For God. I had  forgotten that I had reviewed it, but went to look,
see  below.
Armstrong’s idea of a second Axial Age doesn’t  quite add up, ...
 (http://darwiniana.com/) _Axial  Age and Eonic Model_
(http://darwiniana.com/2006/04/15/axial-age-and-eonic-model/)      15 Apr 2006 by nemo
A review of Armstrong’s The Great  Transformation almost gets the point, and
sees
where she has gone wrong  by smearing out the Axial data backwards and
forwards.
Then the  reviewer derails with some speculations about the Ice Age.  ...
_Axial  Synchronism_ (http://darwiniana.com/2006/04/18/axial-synchronism/)
  18 Apr 2006 by nemo
Armstrong in The Great  Transformation completely distorts the issue of the
Armstrong gets confused by the claims now that  Zoroaster is much earlier and
that
Lao ... Then it becomes clear  that the question of the Axial Age is that of
_More  ‘Second Axial Age’ confusion_
(http://darwiniana.com/2006/02/16/more-second-axial-age-confusion/)      16 Feb 2006 by nemo
In another version, Karen Armstrong  has proposed a second Axial Age as some
kind of postmodern  restoration of religion. It is all confusion. There is no
second  ‘Axial Age’, unless by that we mean the rise of modernity itself.
_Voodoo  Scholarship_ (http://darwiniana.com/2005/11/27/voodoo-scholarship/)
    26 Nov 2005 by nemo
What is Enlightenment? magazine, issue 31,  has an article on Karen Armstrong
and
the supposed ‘Second  Axial Age’. See post from a few days ago: Armstrong on
 Axial
Age. The issue of the magazine in question raises a  sore point: these ...
_More on  Armstrong’s Axial Age_
(http://darwiniana.com/2005/11/22/armstrong-and-axial-age/)      22 Nov 2005 by nemo
Googling Karen Armstrong’s views on  a so-called ‘Second Axial Age’ I find a
number
of seminars on  the subject, with this from a conference of the Jesus Seminar.
Who  should we find present here but Eugenie Scott! Hey wait a minute!  ...
_Dennett’s book is  out_
(http://darwiniana.com/2006/02/02/dennetts-book-is-out/)      2 Feb 2006 by nemo
I am not ready to comment on Dennett’s text  yet, although I forewarned in an
earlier post that I was ’sharpening my  claws’, also for Karen Armstrong’s
new
book on Axial Age.  Actually, I expressed the hope of being pleasantly
surprised  ...
_Armstrong on  Myth_ (http://darwiniana.com/2005/12/11/armstrong-on-myth/)
  11 Dec 2005 by nemo
The periodization of the book focuses on  the data of the Axial Age, which the
author threatens to turn  into another myth. Armstrong’s treatment of this
subject
has  made it into a proxy for the onset of the world reiligions,  ...
_Second Axial  Age??_ (http://darwiniana.com/2005/11/17/second-axial-age/)
  16 Nov 2005 by nemo
What is Enlightenment? magazine, issue 31,  has an article on Karen Armstrong
and
the supposed ‘Second  Axial Age’. Unfortunately it is not online. The use of
the
term  ‘Axial Age’ has suffered confusion, and has degenerated in some  ...

John Landon

Site for
World History
And The  Eonic Effect
Second Edition_  http://history-and-evolution.com_
(http://history-and-evolution.com/)
Darwiniana: An Evolution Blog_  http://darwiniana.com_
(http://darwiniana.com/)

_______________

At a time when theories  of evolution are under renewed controversy,
discussion is hampered by the  remoteness of the phenomenon of evolution, and the use
of indirect inference to  speculate about deep time. Adherents of Darwinism
often defend dogmatic versions  of the theory that have been questioned since
the first reviewers of Origin  of Species.

Now Darwinism is under siege from the Intelligent  Design movement,
threatening the school system. The attempt to hijack the debate  using long discredited
arguments by design tends to make Darwinists close ranks  around their flawed
science. The debate is deadlocked by the rigidity of both  parties, evidence
of fixed agendas, and metaphysical presumptions. A new  approach is needed.
The study of history itself holds the clue if we can find  it.

We live in the first generations with enough historical data to  detect a
pattern of Universal History. The discovery of this pattern, the Eonic  Effect,
uncovers the evidence for a deep structure resembling punctuated  equilibrium
in world history itself. The study of history and evolution together  shows us
something we had missed and allows us to infer the existence of  non-random
evolution in the emergence of man. Darwinian theory suffers from low  evidence
density. The Eonic Effect is the only data we have at high evidence  density of
evolution as a process in real time, and this transforms our views
completely.

We see the real evolution of man as the Great Transition, the  human passage
from evolution to history, in the chronicle of the once and future  Origin of
the Species, Man.