There is a considerable amount of commentary on The Great Transformation at Darwiniana.com

Some Links to blog entries on Axial Age and Armstrong's new book at that blog
Karen Armstrong on Axial Age
20 Nov 2005 by nemo
What is Enlightenment? magazine, issue 31, has an article on Karen Armstrong
and the supposed ‘Second Axial Age’. Text is listed below, after my commentary.
This page updates a post from a few days ago, and is also available at ...

Second Axial again
3 Apr 2006 by nemo
Because of the parallels with the Axial Age, Armstrong believes, it’s highly
possible that the world is at another religious turning point. “In every single
case, the catalyst of major religious change was revulsion from warfare and ...

Gearing up for the Armstrong mess
2 Mar 2006 by nemo
I have been waiting for Karen Armstrong’s new book The Great Transformation on the
Axial Age. Based on her previous remarks in earlier books, with a short version
in The History of Myth, the result is going to make a complete mess of ...

Armstrong’s crypto-fundamentalism?
2 Mar 2006 by nemo
We are presently in the Second Axial Age according to religious scholar, Karen
Armstrong. In her book, The Battle for God, Armstrong says the Second Axial Age
began in the early 20th century– a time when “people were trying to find new ...

Axial/Armstrong links
3 Apr 2006 by nemo
I have collected together the links on this blog on the Axial Age/Karen Armstrong
question.

Armstrong and Dalai Lama
17 Apr 2006 by nemo
Sorry to keep harping on Armstrong, but she has wrecked the question of the Axial
Age. Karl Jaspers’ book isn’t even in print. My careful periodization structure
to examine and approach its complex study, because it challenges Darwin, ...

No Second Axial Age
31 Jan 2006 by nemo
I got an email from someone who had read an amazon review of mine on Armstrong’s
Battle For God. I had forgotten that I had reviewed it, but went to look, see below.
Armstrong’s idea of a second Axial Age doesn’t quite add up, ...

Axial Age and Eonic Model
15 Apr 2006 by nemo
A review of Armstrong’s The Great Transformation almost gets the point, and sees
where she has gone wrong by smearing out the Axial data backwards and forwards.
Then the reviewer derails with some speculations about the Ice Age. ...

Axial Synchronism
18 Apr 2006 by nemo
Armstrong in The Great Transformation completely distorts the issue of the ...
Armstrong gets confused by the claims now that Zoroaster is much earlier and that
Lao ... Then it becomes clear that the question of the Axial Age is that of ...

More ‘Second Axial Age’ confusion
16 Feb 2006 by nemo
In another version, Karen Armstrong has proposed a second Axial Age as some
kind of postmodern restoration of religion. It is all confusion. There is no
second ‘Axial Age’, unless by that we mean the rise of modernity itself. ...

Voodoo Scholarship
26 Nov 2005 by nemo
What is Enlightenment? magazine, issue 31, has an article on Karen Armstrong and
the supposed ‘Second Axial Age’. See post from a few days ago: Armstrong on Axial
Age. The issue of the magazine in question raises a sore point: these ...

More on Armstrong’s Axial Age
22 Nov 2005 by nemo
Googling Karen Armstrong’s views on a so-called ‘Second Axial Age’ I find a number
of seminars on the subject, with this from a conference of the Jesus Seminar.
Who should we find present here but Eugenie Scott! Hey wait a minute! ...

Dennett’s book is out
2 Feb 2006 by nemo
I am not ready to comment on Dennett’s text yet, although I forewarned in an
earlier post that I was ’sharpening my claws’, also for Karen Armstrong’s new
book on Axial Age. Actually, I expressed the hope of being pleasantly surprised ...
Armstrong on Myth
11 Dec 2005 by nemo
The periodization of the book focuses on the data of the Axial Age, which the
author threatens to turn into another myth. Armstrong’s treatment of this subject
has made it into a proxy for the onset of the world reiligions, ...

Second Axial Age??
16 Nov 2005 by nemo
What is Enlightenment? magazine, issue 31, has an article on Karen Armstrong and
the supposed ‘Second Axial Age’. Unfortunately it is not online. The use of the
term ‘Axial Age’ has suffered confusion, and has degenerated in some ...

John Landon

Site for

World History
And The Eonic Effect
Second Edition
http://history-and-evolution.com
Darwiniana: An Evolution Blog http://darwiniana.com

At a time when theories of evolution are under renewed controversy, discussion is hampered by the remoteness of the phenomenon of evolution, and the use of indirect inference to speculate about deep time. Adherents of Darwinism often defend dogmatic versions of the theory that have been questioned since the first reviewers of Origin of Species.

Now Darwinism is under siege from the Intelligent Design movement, threatening the school system. The attempt to hijack the debate using long discredited arguments by design tends to make Darwinists close ranks around their flawed science. The debate is deadlocked by the rigidity of both parties, evidence of fixed agendas, and metaphysical presumptions. A new approach is needed. The study of history itself holds the clue if we can find it.

We live in the first generations with enough historical data to detect a pattern of Universal History. The discovery of this pattern, the Eonic Effect, uncovers the evidence for a deep structure resembling punctuated equilibrium in world history itself. The study of history and evolution together shows us something we had missed and allows us to infer the existence of non-random evolution in the emergence of man. Darwinian theory suffers from low evidence density. The Eonic Effect is the only data we have at high evidence density of evolution as a process in real time, and this transforms our views completely.

We see the real evolution of man as the Great Transition, the human passage from evolution to history, in the chronicle of the once and future Origin of the Species, Man.