I used to manage a community hospital vascular lab and we paid the medical director.  Interestingly enough though, other medical directors for other departments were not paid.  The medical director had to submit documentation monthly on number of hours spent acting as "medical director" which was always over inflated.  But, the medical director has a addendum clause in their contract outlining medical director duties and we followed the ICAVL standards as a guideline.
Connie McCoy, RVT