I hope you all don't mind my putting my two cents. I don't admit all
patients with DVT, unless the larger veins are involved and the clot appears  mobile
or incompletely adherent to the vein wall. Many patients can be managed  by
putting them on Lovenox and Coumadin simultaneously and told to limit  activity
until PT and INR are at therapeutic levels. They are also put into good
graduated compression support hose. Obviously there are occasionally those
patients that are thought to be noncompliant and these need to be admitted and
observed until PT/INR are in therapeutic range. For the real bad ones i've had  our
interventional radiologist stick a catheter in the popliteal vein and infuse
TPA to dissolve the clot. Although there is a possible risk of causing a PE,
I've not had this happen--yet.

Dr.Szarnicki