Being a relatively new user of digital equipment, I must say that I was
amazed to learn that scrolling Doppler could not be recorded as a loop.
There are so many times when this would be a diagnostic help.
When I assess a stenosis, no matter which vessel I may be looking at, I
like to record the Doppler sweeping from the prestenotic area into the
stenosis and through into the post-stenotic turbulence. I still put this
sequence on my back-up tapes, but am unable to do it with digital
recording.
When I look at the branch vessels off the aorta, I like to start with my
Doppler in the aorta and pull it back into the renal or mesenteric
vessel. In this way, I can demonstrate what the orificial flow is like,
thus distinguishing origin lesions from proximal. Again, I still put it
on tape, but no digital...
I often speculate what vascular ultrasound would be like if it were not
for the serendipitous fact that the frequency shifts we are working with
just happen to be in the audible range of the human ear. If we did not
have the audible Doppler to help find stenoses and to help manipulate
the beam so we get the cleanest signal possible. I suspect some
enterprising person like Kirk Beach would have found us dogs to tell us
when the sample volume is in the vessel. We might still be able to do
our jobs, but they would be a lot harder. I vote for Chihuahuas because
they are so cute and love to howl...
I say we start a grassroots rebellion to force the manufacturers to put
the ability to record Doppler loops on all machines. And while we are at
it, why not insist that everyone supplies bidirectional power angio?
That would also not be hard, and would be a great help!..

Norma J. Vandenberghe, RN, RVT

DISCLAIMER: This message is confidential, intended only for the named
recipient(s) and may contain information that is privileged or exempt
from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended
recipient(s), you are notified that the dissemination, distribution or
copying of this information is strictly prohibited. If you received this
message in error, please notify the sender then delete this message.