Hello VBSers,

My name is Jessica Stager -- I'm a graduate student at Antioch New
England, and I've been working with Kent this winter to create some maps
(which will be available soon!) for you all to use when you're out
surveying for rare species this summer.

I wanted to let you know about a research project I'll be conducting in
the Champlain Valley this summer, and to ask for your help. I intend to
survey several fields throughout the valley, each of which are mowed at
different times (early-mid-late summer) and possibly at different
frequencies (yearly, every two years). My intention is to look at how
butterfly communities change with respect to mowing regimes, so that I can
make recommendations to interested landowners regarding how they might
manage their land with an eye toward increasing/sustaining butterfly
diversity.

I am currently trying to gather up as many potential study sites as
possible, and will chose between them based on certain criteria. To start,
I am looking for fields that are between 4-8 acres or so. I am not
necessarily looking for agricultural fields; in fact, I'd prefer to use
fields that are simply kept open for view, etc., in a rural/residential
area - though small hay fields may be useful as well.

If you have a field in the Champlain Valley and would like to participate,
or know of someone who would like to participate, please email me at
[log in to unmask] I am hoping to check out potential fields
over the next few weeks.

I really appreciate your help in getting the word out about this project -
thanks!

Jessica