CHRYSALIS
The Occasional Newsletter of the Vermont Butterfly Survey
April 2006
Vol. 5 No. 1

Here's another issue of CHRYSALIS, an irregular
e-mail newsletter about the Vermont Butterfly
Survey. You're getting this because you have
signed on as a VBS volunteer. If you'd rather not
receive this newsletter, please reply to this
e-mail and asked to be removed from the mailing
list. Thanks for joining the survey.

Kent McFarland and Bryan Pfeiffer

Contents:

1. Our Fifth and Final Season
2. Help Wanted on Data
3. Have You Left VBS?
4. More VBS Training-Blockbusting Sessions
5. Tracking VBS Volunteer Time Helps with Funding
6. Spring Azure complex in Vermont
7. Web Page Picks

1. OUR FIFTH AND FINAL SEASON!
The Vermont Butterfly Survey needs you now more
than ever. Our survey work these past four years
has produced a tremendous amount of critical
information about the distribution of butterflies
across Vermont. Residing in the VBS database are
nearly 30,000 records of your encounters of
butterflies. It’s the most comprehensive
assessment of an insect taxon in Vermont. But we’re not done yet.

Before this field season gets into full swing
(pun intended) we'll be presenting you with a
complete update on our work to date – and the
work that remains to be done. We'll show you the
VBS priority blocks that still need more survey
work. We'll suggest the best dates for additional
survey work. And we'll be searching specifically
for a few species that remain undiscovered in
Vermont. Many of you will be asked to shift your survey work to another block.

So please begin to gather your energy and
enthusiasm for another season. Once we finish,
the final product will be impressive. We’ll have
a strong baseline knowledge of butterfly
distribution across the state. We’ll publish it
for the world to see and use. And you’ll have the
satisfaction of knowing that you were part of the
most innovative insect mapping project Vermont has ever known.

2. HELP WANTED ON DATA
There can be no better way to learn butterflies
than to study them in front of your nose in the
good company of other volunteers and experts.
We’re finalizing our scrutiny of the 2005 data.
That means we still need volunteers to review
specimens and photos and their data. YOU DON'T
NEED TO BE AN EXPERT TO DO THIS. And you will
certainly learn a lot. Plus, some folks actually
believe it’s fun to hang out with Kent and Bryan.
We need folks to help in Woodstock most any day
in the next two or three weeks. Contact Kent ([log in to unmask]).

3. HAVE YOU LEFT VBS?
If you don't think you'll be able to do any more
survey work (we hope not) PLEASE take a few
minutes to gather and return any of your unused
voucher cards and glassine envelopes. Drop us a
quick email so we don't send you materials for
this season. We need them back. You can mail them to:

Kent McFarland
Vermont Institute of Natural Science
27023 Church Hill Road
Woodstock, VT 05091

Thanks.

4. MORE VBS TRAINING-BLOCKBUSTING SESSIONS
In our continuing effort to make you a better
butterflyer and get a block done fast, we’re
planning some group training and survey work this
spring. When they won't be chasing birds, Bryan
and Kent will organize group blockbusting
sessions in under-surveyed areas of the state.
We'd like to begin these in late May, so that
those of you who join us can continue to learn
some new skills and apply them during the rest of
the field season. We'll also be doing some
butterfly walks for various organizations. You'll
be welcome to join those as well. So stay tuned
for the dates. We'll post them at the VBS web
site soon. And sometime put something up at the
last minute too. We will of course inform
everyone via the VTLEP email list serve too, so
sign up at http://list.uvm.edu/archives/vtleps.html.

5. TRACKING YOUR VBS VOLUNTEER TIME HELPS FUNDING!
A major portion of VBS funding is through a
program known as State Wildlife Grants (SWG).
This is federal funding annually appropriated to
each state for non-game wildlife research and
conservation. The SWG program provides federal
dollars to every state to support conservation
aimed at preventing fish and wildlife populations
from declining and avoiding potential listing
under state or federal Endangered Species Acts

This grant is a 3:1 matching grant. In other
words, we have to provide one dollar for every
three federal dollars. The matching portion can
be private grants and donations or in-kind
donations such as the volunteer work that you do for this project.

For this upcoming field season we'll provide a
form for each person to track volunteer time to
help us meet our match. You'll receive this in
your participant packet in April.  PLEASE send in
this form with your data so we can meet our
match. And, if you haven't done so, please send in last year’s form.

In order to make the best use of the State
Wildlife Grants program, Congress charged each
state and territory with developing a statewide
Comprehensive Wildlife Conservation Strategy
(CWCS). These strategies will provide an
essential foundation for the future of wildlife
conservation and a stimulus to engage the states,
federal agencies and other conservation partners
to strategically think about their individual and
coordinated roles in prioritizing conservation
efforts in each state and territory.

VBS has contributed key butterfly information to
this plan to help determine which species are of
concern. The plan is finished and can be read at
http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/swg_cwcs_report.cfm

6. AZURE COMPLEX IN VERMONT

Harry Pavulaan has been kind enough to help us
identify the Spring Azure complex in Vermont.  We
recently got an update from Harry and here is
what he had to say (not for the Azure-taxonomy faint of heart):

David Wright and I have been in extensive
discussion regarding a perplexing situation with
Vermont Azures but I think we have a
solution.  There appear to be five distinct
flights or species in Vermont.  The first flight,
Celastrina lucia, appears to be less common than
I originally thought.  I'll explain.  The second
flight to emerge is the Cherry Gall Azure (CGA),
but the 2003-2004 series has very few of
these.  There was previous confusion with a THIRD
spring flight and I believe that many of the
previous "lucia" and "Cherry Gall Azure"
specimens I identified from the 2002 series may be yet ANOTHER entity.

Dave and I just published our Cherry Gall Azure
paper.  It is now called "Celastrina
serotina".  In Vermont, lucia and serotina (CGA)
are easily distinguished.  However, there are
many specimens which I could not assign to
either.  These have the undersides of lucia, yet
the uppersides of serotina (CGA).  This baffled
me.  Pursuant to other research we are engaged
in, it dawned on us that most of northern New
England is dominated by a spring flight of yet
another Azure!  It replaces serotina (CGA) in
many areas, yet flies with it in some, but mainly
it comes on the heels of serotina.  Research on
similarly puzzling populations from New Brunswick
to Maryland leads us to conclude that this is yet
another Azure.  Now, going back through my
collection, the pieces suddenly fall into place
and things make more sense.  This Azure is
identified in my annotations to the Vermont
Azures as "?under study?".  Wherever that
designation is encountered, it pertains to this
interesting taxon.  The ironic thing is that it
MAY actually have been named in older days, but
we need to do a considerable amount of research
to determine if an older name is
available.  Similarly, in my annotations, "CGA"
refers to what is now called Celastrina
serotina.  Did you ever receive a copy of that paper?
Unfortunately, my evaluation of the Vermont
Azures was underway when the paper was published,
so we are missing a considerable number of
Vermont records in the paper.  A follow-up paper
in the coming year or two, will update the paper
from the Vermont survey and other field research.

Back to flights.  The fourth flight: the "early
summer entity" is the most curious.  It is
distinct from the fifth (August) flight of C.
neglecta.  It emerges just prior to the time that
neglecta emerges in southeastern New England (in
early July), which is odd.  So it is not
neglecta, in the true sense.  Vermont's August
flight is true neglecta.  Boy, we're going to
give these flights a good look at.

Which brings me to:  Norbert Kondla and Joe
Belicek (both in Canada) are working on the DNA
barcode project.  They are analyzing Celastrina
for us, though results will be forthcoming and we
don't know if any of the Celastrina flights will
show DNA differences.  I've been sending them
specimens from many locations.  In the Vermont
specimen series, a handful of voucher envelopes
contained duplicate specimens and have been sent
to them for DNA analysis.  We're not sure how the
"early summer entity" relates to August
neglecta.  Neglecta was described from the
Catskill Mountains in "summer" (where both the
"early summer entity" flies at the end of June
into July, and neglecta flies in late July into
August), so could refer to either entity.

7. WEB PAGE PICK (ok so it is a PDF report…)
A BASELINE ATLAS AND CONSERVATION ASSESSMENT OF THE BUTTERFLIES OF MAINE

This report summarizes the current state of
knowledge for the butterfly species of Maine and
highlights species of conservation concern.
Information on the occurrence of butterflies in
Maine was reviewed from a variety of sources,
including Brower (1974) and numerous other
publications, specimens contained in most major
northeastern museums, numerous private
collections, data complied during Maine
Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife’s
(MDIFW) ecoregional survey project, and MDIFW’s
rare species tracking database. A database
(Excel) of nearly 9000 records contained in 42
fields was constructed from all records obtained
from the above sources. These include both
locality and date records (records with different
dates from same locality) and 3904 township
records. At the completion of the Maine Butterfly
Survey Project this data will be shared with
conservation partners and other interested
parties. Brower (1974) listed 103 species of
butterflies and skippers for Maine. Following a
review of the sources listed above, an additional
11 species have been added bringing the state’s
total list to 114 species. A few of the additions
are the result of taxonomic changes that split
formerly one species into two, but most result
from new species discoveries. Of special note is
the relatively high proportion (13%) of Maine
butterflies and skippers that are extirpated (5
species) or state-listed as endangered or special
concern (10 spp.), a result consistent with
global trends elsewhere for the group (Stein et
al. 2000, Thomas et al. 2004). Much has been
learned regarding butterfly species rarity and
threat in Maine since the previous state-listing
process in 1997 (McCollough et al. 2003), and
several revisions, mainly additions to the
endangered and special concern list, are
recommended based on the data summarized in this
study. On average, 63 species of butterflies were
found in each county in Maine. This represents
about 55% of the 114 species of butterflies
reported for the state. Highest species richness
was recorded in Oxford Co. with 91 species (80%
of all species known from Maine). Relatively high
species richness was also recorded from
Washington Co. (87 species) and Penobscot Co. (81
species). The least number of species was
recorded from Sagadahoc Co. (37 species), Knox
Co. (38), Lincoln Co. (43), and Androscoggin Co.
(42). Only eight species were recorded from all
counties in the state. However, collecting effort
in Maine has not been uniform and the data
compiled in this assessment should help to focus
future sampling effort toward under-surveyed
species and locales. Color fact sheets are
provided (Appendix 1) for 35 breeding resident
species in Maine that are considered endangered,
special concern, extirpated, or rare. The fact
sheets include information on identification,
distribution, status, ecology, and threats and
are intended to stimulate further protection and
study of Maine’s rarest butterflies. Finally,
township-scale distribution maps are provided for
each of Maine’s 114 butterfly species, (Appendix
2), all of which require further distributional study.

Visit
<http://mainegov-images.informe.org/ifw/pdf/mainebutterflyatlasreport.pdf>http://mainegov-images.informe.org/ifw/pdf/mainebutterflyatlasreport.pdf
to read the report.

Vermont Butterfly Survey