Just In Woods wrote:

>2.  peen=funny sound that woodcock make
>3.  justin=bird geek, amateur geek that is... guertin can correct any of my
>misinformation on birds, i think

Happy to oblige. I believe the correct woodcockian verb is "peent." I
have a 1939 copy of "A Field Guide to the Birds" (2nd ed.) in which this
original translation was codified by Roger Tory Peterson. No one has
deigned to challenge this interpretation until David Sibley interpreted
it as "beent." I've never heard a woodcock say "peen," but then again
there are some funny Vermont accents floating around.

Dave G., I can't believe I'm not skiing