A quote, from a May 1, 2001 interview:

"AB: What's your scariest moment on skis?

DC: I've had a few -- the scariest moment is when I'm thinking I'm
having a good run and it ends up being icy and really steep and I'm
stuck -- I've still got my edge into the snow but I realize that I'd
better pull out my iceaxe -- I'd better be able to figure out how I'm
going to get out of this mess. I've had a few of those in Europe --
not so much in Alaska, but mainly Europe and other places in the
Tetons. The scariest thing of course is watching an avalanche. If
skiing didn't have avalanches, it'd be the greatest sport in the world
but then it wouldn't be what it is."

From a interesting interview with Andy Bigford of SKI magazine:

http://www.dougcoombs.com/skimaginterview.html