Sad news...I feel sad for his poor kid...I had a chance to meet and speak
briefly with Doug at a ski flix premiere a number of years back at higher
ground....My impression was he stood out as a real mountaineer among the
jibbers there that night...

Another thought...obviously no amount of skill and experience is truly
equal to travelling in avalance terrain over time. Ever since the accident
at SME in BC that was guided by a tradional conservative Swiss trained
guide it has been clear to me that humans arrogantly believe that science
and experience can combine to "predict" where they can ski in avalance
terrain. Travel enough in exposed situations and eventually you will get
caught up in a fall or a slide.

just last night I was thinking about W Walker's post from Utah and his BC
run up in Little Cottonwood which I had done in the early 90's, and how
freaky it is to ski and travel in avy terrain...nobody is immune, nobody
really understands the snow.