On 4/4/06, Denis Bogan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> You guys are too limited in your thinking.  The easy way to get to Mammoth
> from the east coast is to fly into LA.  YOu have LAX, Ontario, and Burbank
> airports to choose from and I think Southwest flys into all of them.  The
> drive up I-5, 14, and 395 is straight, flat, and fast.  Bishop is 30 miles
> from Mammoth.  The road rises from 4000 ft. to 6800 in that stretch but it
> is at a consistent grade and the road is well maintained.  It is about 320
> miles from LAX and 5 hrs total.  It's 4hrs. + a bit from Ontario.  Forget
> Mapquest times.  The cops will not bother you for anything under 75, maybe
> 80.  If there is any chance of a snowstorm, you do _NOT_ want to drive 395
> from Reno to Mammoth Lakes.  It may be shorter than LAX to Mammoth but it
> is very very scary in a snowstorm.  I did it once.  It is very rare that
> chain restrictions are applied south of Mammoth Lakes.  You can get into
> Mammoth Lakes easily from LA in almost any weather all winter with a FWD
> rental car.  Once there, park your car and ride the free shuttle, which
> has 4WD and chains, to get to the mountain and get around town.  At this
> time of year you can bargain for lodging; the place is empty.  Tell them
> you already got $30/night at XXX and you're just trying to see if you can
> beat that.
>
> And, oh yes, Mammoth's base is at 8,000 ft., summit 11,000.  The snow is
> rarely Sierra cement and it is often as good as Utah.

I will second everything Denis said.

And you just have to get out here before or by July 4th.  Last year he
and I skied Mammoth that weekend and there was nearly 3000' vert
served by five lifts.  There was enough snow to ski into August,
easily.

It will be the same again this year, I expect.

If you can't wait until then, I just looked quickly earlier today for
Jim and saw that United and JetBlue could get you from Boston to the
Bay Area (UA into SFO; both into OAK or SJC) for around $350 for
Memorial Day weekend, especially if you don't fly "peak times" on
Friday or Monday (go earliest flights or go Sat/Tues).  Squaw and
Alpine will still be open then - 3 hours drive away.

For me, it seems Sierra corn is like no other.