Despite 3 days of Colorado skiing earlier in the week and 70F+ temps
during the day, the itch needed more scratch, so…

Friday 6:34 PM after backing the Exploder into the fire-road cut at the
top of the magic carpet at WaWachusett, MA  I quickly slipped into the
Excursions and sprinted for the summit on 160cm Cross Terrains.  In the
failing light & ~55-60F temps the snow was firming up to peak-traction
for the scaly-bottomed skis, and they went straight up sections over 20
degrees- nearly as good as skins, for once!  While climbing I noted two,
possibly 3 fresh descent tracks (one later attributable to Jonathan
Shefftz, who apparently scooped me by 40 minutes, just enough time to
have missed one another.)

About 950' vertical and 20 minutes later I was at the summit turning
around.  Descending by the light of a thin crescent moon casting long
strange shadows in the periphery, by 7:08 I was driving away with a grin
on my mug, having executed another nearly perfect drive-by-skiing on the
homeward commute.  (Sorry, no pics- too dark.)

They’re officially closed now (they had reopened for an April Fools
weekend bash), but there should continue to be top-to-bottom skiing for
another week or so, and barring major heat waves, 500+ vert patches on
through tax day. I’m sure I’ll be pulling a full-moon run or 3 too,
but since they bulldozed the half-pipe to make the slush pond for this
past weekend’s party, a repeat of last year’s June turns aren’t too
likely.

dana
_____________ ________ __