Wachusett Friday 31 March (no VT content)

Despite 3 days of Colorado skiing earlier in the week and 70F+ temps during the day, the itch needed more scratch, so

Friday 6:34 PM after backing the Exploder into the fire-road cut at the top of the magic carpet at WaWachusett, MA  I quickly slipped into the Excursions and sprinted for the summit on 160cm Cross Terrains.  In the failing light & ‾55-60F temps the snow was firming up to peak-traction for the scaly-bottomed skis, and they went straight up sections over 20 degrees- nearly as good as skins, for once!  While climbing I noted two, possibly 3 fresh descent tracks (one later attributable to Jonathan Shefftz, who apparently scooped me by 40 minutes, just enough time to have missed one another.)

About 950' vertical and 20 minutes later I was at the summit turning around.  Descending by the light of a thin crescent moon casting long strange shadows in the periphery, by 7:08 I was driving away with a grin on my mug, having executed another nearly perfect drive-by-skiing on the homeward commute.  (Sorry, no pics- too dark.)

Theyre officially closed now (they had reopened for an April Fools weekend bash), but there should continue to be top-to-bottom skiing for another week or so, and barring major heat waves, 500+ vert patches on through tax day. Im sure Ill be pulling a full-moon run or 3 too, but since they bulldozed the half-pipe to make the slush pond for this past weekends party, a repeat of last years June turns arent too likely.

dana

_____________ ________ __