At 8:39 PM -0400 5/13/06, Terry Wright wrote:
>Looks like a spotted sandpiper in breeding plumage.  Any  seconds?

I got three e-mails suggesting this as well :)

Having looked at the details for the spotted sandpiper, I'm convinced
everyone is right about this: not just from the visual, but from the
description of its behavior when approached.  It did  -exactly- what
eNature describes:

-----------
When flushed from the margin of a pond or stream, it is easily
identified by its distinctive flight-short bursts of rapidly
vibrating wingbeats alternating with brief glides.
--------

Thanks!

--julie

"It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man
who's learning to play the violin."

That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.

                  --Richard Brautigan, "The Scarlatti Tilt"