The VINS Conservation Biology team completed an epic and fossil
fuel-free Hike-Bike Birdathon on May 18.  Our itinerary was a
grueling one, beginning with a dusk hike to the Pico Camp at 3400 ft
in Sherburne on May 17, then clambering 1/2 mile in the pre-dawn
yesterday to Pico's summit, where we were thwarted in our attempts to
find Bicknell's Thrush and Blackpoll Warbler.  The wind and an
apparently late migration phenology worked against us.  We hurried
back down to Rt. 4 and began a 40-mile bike ride that ended us at the
VINS headquarters in Woodstock, legs and lungs pleading with us to
stop.  A few of us "cheated" and did some additional birding en route
back to our homes, adding 5 new species.  Our grand team total was
104 species -- pretty respectable without the aid of vehicles, and
considering that we encountered very few bona fide migrant songbirds.

Highlights included:
Common Loon (pairs on Kent Pond inn Sherburne and Woodward Reservoir
in Plymouth)
Virginia Rail -- in a small Sherburne wetland
Red Phalarope -- bird of the day, a pair found on Kent Pond by Roz
Renfrew on her way home (not seen during morning)!
Willow Flycatcher -- 1 singing in Sherburne
Alder Flycatcher -- at least 6 singing in Sherburne alder wetlands
Cliff Swallow -- Kent Pond (also had the other 4 species here)
Carolina Wren  -- in WRJ en route back to Norwich
Marsh Wren -- a surprise, singing and displaying male in cattails at
Dewey's Pond in Quechee
Swainson's Thrush -- 1 calling at c. 3200 ft on Pico
Canada Warbler -- 1 singing male in Reading, as we reached the top of
our long climb on Class 4 roads.  Nice reward.
Rufous-sided Towhee -- 2 singing males in Woodstock

A few glaring misses (Green Heron, Broad-winged Hawk, Am. Kestrel,
Indigo Bunting, Evening Grosbeak to name a few), but a great day.

Chris

Chris Rimmer
Conservation Biology Department
Vermont Institute of Natural Science