I was going to write an e-mail making the exact same inquiry you made.  I'm tired of putting out fresh fruit and getting zippo, only to see them flying around my yard regularly.  So, for all you experts out there.  What sayeth thou?

mcm
rutland

-----Original Message-----
From: - Maeve Kim <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tue, 16 May 2006 08:40:13 EDT
Subject: [VTBIRD] oriole feeders

I need help!! Mundi in Pownal said she's had orioles come to her feeders
finally, after three years. I've been trying for five years, with a variety of
feeders that are billed as "irresistible" to orioles. Each spring, I've had
orioles nesting in trees right above the feeders but never approaching to feed.
This morning, I listened from before five AM until after eight as an oriole sang

repeatedly, every few seconds - right near two bright-orange feeders full of
fresh sugar water. I've tried nectar feeders, grape jelly and oranges and, to
my knowledge, not a single oriole has ever had a single sip, lap, dip or munch.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Mundi,   did you move your feeders? Should
feeders be in the open or near perches or under trees?

Thanks - Maeve Kim, Jericho Center