This weekend we were fortunate enough to hear a very vocal and very loud
PB Grebe at delta park (Carl Runge and others have been reporting its
presence for some time).  My mnemonic is whoooooo-clunk-whooooo-clunk
repeated numerous times in succession for 10-30 seconds.  Thanks to Ted
Murin for ID-ing the call for us in a happenstance meeting on the bike
path!  This piqued our curiousity enough to stay vigilant and we were
able to locate and observe the bird calling (from the flooded area on
the lake-side of the bike path).   This species also has the capability
to compress its feathers and SINK so as to reduce it's profile above
water.   We observed the bird in this state and also with the indicated
throat pouch inflated as it called.   Given the bird has been seen in
this locale numerous times, I highly recommend a visit to see this
amazing species.

In a message dated 5/2/2006 4:52:25 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Maeve:  What you describe sounds like a Pied-billed Grebe call.  It is
unworldly, and even funnier if you see them inflate that black patch on
their throat.  Try your tape or CD, or online, to see if it fits.
You'll recognize it if it is a grebe.