i haven't actually heard too much about just the weight of a modern
set-up, although i could see how that would affect things, and our
skis are certainly heavy enough, especially when we get to the upper
level bindings (I have a few pairs of Marker 30s which have a DIN
range of 15 to 30... those springs weigh a lot!!!). still i think the
consensus is that the major factor with the increased rate of
injuries is the amount of energy you can put into a shaped ski in a
true carve.... energy that can then be released in the wrong way if
the ski diverges outward. the shorter shaped skis can get so squirrly
at speed that it is a lot easier to catch an edge the wrong way.
interestingly, changing the equipment regulations is not the only
thing that FIS has done to try to increase the safety of the sport;
they also have changed the regulations for the courses themselves
(vertical & horizontal offset) to slow racers down, especially in
slalom...

-ben