On Jun 7, 2006, at 11:04, Denis Bogan wrote:

> Can't recall now if I said so in that story, but the shocking thing
> about
> that race was that none of the racers skied after the race was
> over.  They
> went to the lodge and waited a good hour and a half for the results
> and
> then _THEY JUST WENT HOME_.
>
> It is also interesting to me how many backcountry skiers have
> turned to
> the BC after racing.

that is one of the things that drives me crazy about racing and
racing culture... a large percentage of racers don't seem to actually
like to ski all that much. (that being said, i appreciate how drained
you can be after 2 runs... both physically and psychologically... not
skiing after the race on race day can be excusable).  Personally i
have always been torn between my racing and my free skiing...
especially since i started telemarking a few years ago. i absolutely
love backcountry skiing, touring, powder, woods, free heeling,
etc.... but i'm also addicted to the feel of a good solid carve,  the
rhythm of a slalom course, and the adrenaline of a downhill. I think
one of the most valuable things about racing though, is that you get
a very good set of base skiing skills... the balance you get racing
will stay with you anywhere. it's not a coincidence that a lot of the
extreme skiers have racing backgrounds...

-ben