>From:         "Jonathan S. Shefftz" <[log in to unmask]>

>Here's a photo showing a reading of 32 degrees:
http://timefortuckerman.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6595 . . . but it's
just along the length of a ski pole. I didn't bother with any measurements
yesterday, but back in November (when admittedly snow conditions could
produce different angles) I used the same compass clinometer in that
picture but also used its feature for sighting along a longer distance and
got mid-20s; here's the reason why I spent so much time then trying to get
an accurate reading:
http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13423 <

Agreed that the summit snowfields are not over 30*.  Also agreed that they
are a blast on a nice sunny day.  The one thing that scares me about them
is the possibility of a fast moving line of thunderstorms appearing from
nowhere between the time you head down and the time you have finished the
cllimb back up.  This may not be a problem for you young guys but when
you're old and slow and already tired from 3-4 laps - - - .

The point of my post is to comment on rolling balls, wheels, and giant
cigars that gain size as they roll downslope.  See the telemark tips link
above.  The first time I ever saw this was in the Gulf of Slides ~ 10
years ago.  I had stupidly gone over Boott Spur and so had not seen what I
was about to ski.  On the first turn the soft corn peeled and the broke
like a perfect wave and rolled downhill.  It gained size rapidly soon
resembling one of those giant rolls of turf that you can see in a
landscaper's truck.  Then it broke up into several (still rolling) wheels
that went almost to the bottom.  I was astonished.  I've never seen
anything like that before or since.  Each of those wheels probably weighed
100 lbs. and would knock a skier down easily.  I made sure to make many
stops and pull outs to the side to let them go by.  I remember posting the
story and Dana (I think) said that this was a real bad sign for avi
danger.   At that time I had virtually no avi knowledge and had just begun
skiing steep stuff.  I still know very little about this phenomenon.

Comments anybody?