I don't know about you, but it is pretty hard for me to excited about
night skiing.   At Bolton there is the lack of terrain.  I get to ski
weekends and some week days, so skiing Sherman's and Spillway doesn't get
the juices flowing.  Especially now that you have to ski all the way to
the bottom to get back to the top.

I did a race league at Stowe.  Anytime there is a night race at Stowe, they
go out of their way to make sure there is no fast skiing.  Gondolier is
not fun at slow speeds. We tried skiing closed trails, but Stowe went to
great lengths to catch us doing that as well.

I don't know what Denis's crowd was like, but my crowd enjoys themselves.
We have a great time sipping suds and talking.  I know most of the people
that do the race league and this is the only time I get to see them.

Race league for me is more social then anything else.    I definitely do
not consider it "racing seriously".  If I didn't do the
race league and saved the money I spent,  I would not have enough to take a
vacation out west.   Maybe if I didn't ski regularly in VT, I could save
enough money for a week out west, but the trade off is not worth it.

As far as USSA races go: most areas only give a lift ticket that is good
only for one lift.  In general, racers are not highly regarded.
Patrollers seem to put in a lot of effort in trying to slow down racers
GSing, while ignoring freeskiers that make no turns.

GMVS prides it's self on running races as efficiently as possible.
They do this because most USSA racers are students.   If a kid can leave
a mountain at 2pm, they can get more work done,  be better rested, and
hopefully avoid eating dinner at McDonalds.