I've done just a bit of spring and summer skiing in Colorado and know what
you are talking about.  Thunderstorms over the front range are really
really scary.

A few stories on thunderstorms in the Whites.

http://list.uvm.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0105C&L=SKIVT-L&P=R1199&I=-3&X=0E2C450D13FF523E4D&Y=denis_bogan%40yahoo.com

http://list.uvm.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0105c&L=skivt-l&D=1&X=68D9D8056E9079A574&Y=denis_bogan%40yahoo.com&P=2832

http://list.uvm.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0105c&L=skivt-l&D=1&X=68D9D8056E9079A574&Y=denis_bogan%40yahoo.com&P=3585

But what I am really interested in is what do people know about rollers
and wheels.  How often do they occur and what are the avi implications?
I've seen small ones a number of times but never anything like what is
described in the first post.