Layers.  It's all about layers.

I open all three (usually I'm working with only 3 images) images in
Photoshop.  I then open a 4th canvas that's larger than the photos, to
leave room for the overlap & whatnot.

I move all three images into this new canvas and roughly align them.  I
then hide one layer, turn a 2nd one to ~40% opacity, and align them much
more closely.  Repeat for the third layer.

Return everything to 100% opacity, do some masking to make sure the
overlaps don't cut off skier's heads/feet/tips/poles, and then crop to
final size.  Sometimes (as with Dan's) I'll have to clone in large
portions of snow, as there were corners that didn't have any data in
them.  I believe the lower-right corner on Dan's is completely artificial.