On 6/20/06, Skip King <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> At 07:27 PM 6/20/2006, you wrote:
>
> What I DO note is that back in the old days, Killington was the place
> where New England skied when the weather sucked. Part of that was
> related to their very smart (pre-current-day ASC) brand positioning
> of 'first to open, last to close.'
>
> Killington no longer seems to have that brand position.  But I could
> be wrong.

On that note, It's interesting how KOD has changed the past few years.   In
the past the date wouldn't be announced until the morning of sometimes, and
it's anticipation always generated a lot of rumor and excitement.  A
September opening date was the dream.  You'd have to ride in the back of a
pickup truck up the mountain to get to the lift, etc.

Then four or five years ago they switched over to announcing the date at
least a week ahead of time and opening only when they had top to bottom
conditions.  (Curiously just around the time the KOD FAQ on the skivt-l page
stopped being updated -
http://www.uvm.edu/skivt-l/?Page=.%2FFAQs%2FbigKFAQ.html&dir=.%2FFAQs)  This
allowed that guy with a snowblower and hill in CT to announce that he beat
Killington and was the first to open in the east.

I'm assuming the decision was driven by business.  Since lower their season
pass price and increasing the volume sold, it probably makes sense to wait
on opening, since not everyone showing up on that day will be buying a
ticket.  I'm of the opinion that there was a lot more value in those early
openings that could be shown on a balance sheet.  My first day snowboarding
was a lesson I took at Killington the weekend before Thanksgiving.  I'll
never forget the excitement I felt driving up from Albany with hardly any
snow on the ground, until heading up the access road and seeing the fresh
white snow being blown on the trails.   Anyway, enough nostalgia.  I live
out west now and haven't been to Killington in years, but either way it's
still sad to see K loose some of its mystique.

- Chris