---Forwarded Message---

Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 11:43:52 -0400
From: Katharine Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Query for CRVT list

For a research project on the history of herbalism in Vermont, I'm looking for information about herbalists, midwives, root doctors and Indian doctors who either lived or practiced in Vermont from the 17th century to mid-20th century. Of particular interest: what they were known for, where and when they were practicing, their background, plants they used, role in their communities, sources for more info.

Another interest is folk remedies of plant origin used by or attributed to Vermonters, immigrants or Native Americans in our area, past or present. Also patent medicines for people or animals produced or widely used in Vermont.

Molly Ocket was a well known healer in northern Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. Does anyone know specific plants or remedies she used, or details about her healing methods?

Adele Dawson was another Vermont herbalist. If anyone has clues about how she learned about herbs, or stories about her as an herbalist, I would love to talk to you.

If you have more than you want to write down, please know that I would be more than glad to call you or come for a visit. Just send me an email at <[log in to unmask]> with information on how to best contact you. Names of people to contact who may not get email would also be appreciated.

Many thanks,
Kit Anderson
---End of Forwarded Message---