From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Joel Cope
Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 12:46 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Fire Dept/Ambulance Squad Funds

Brighton was told by our auditors that if the Town Fire Department has any of its own funds--from fundraisers of any sort, for instance--they either need to get a separate Federal ID number, or those funds need to come under the control of the Town Treasurer.  It had been the practice here for the Fire Department to keep those funds separate, but since the Fire Department operated under the town's ID number, it put the Treasurer in an awkward spot.  The way I understand it, the Treasurer is responsible for tracking funds spent under the Town's ID number.