from 2 y ago when Crick died - an obit by an actual scientist (which Matt Ridley is not), and some introductory remarks I added at the time.

        I never met Crick, but have several friends who knew him.
        From my own observation, I'm afraid his influence on molecular biology was malign.  A bullying type, he persisted with what he grandly called his Central Dogma  -  the assertion that information passes in a ONE-WAY flow from DNA to RNA to protein.  This was refuted by Commoner in Nature and American Scientist in the late 1960s but Crick kept asserting it, thus declaring that he was an outlaw of science.  Similarly, he kept insisting that only his double helix could describe the secondary structure (short-range folding) of duplex DNA, when variety in DNA 2 structure had been convincingly proposed {http://www.ias.ac.in/currsci/dec102003/1564.pdf}.  Crick's autobiography 'What Mad Pursuit' devotes a couple pp to dismissive remarks about these additional structures, without so much as mentioning a name of any of their originators in PNAS  -  the NZ group of Rodley & Bates, and the Indian group of Sasisekharan (later @ MIT).
        Several of Crick's later ideas, as outlined by Krug, were excellent.  But his dogmatic bullying style did much harm in distorting the development of molecular biology.