Interesting raptor day yesterday 7-28 and this morning 7-29.
7-28 Hatch year Sharp-shin tried to take one of 5 fledged crows and gave up after they basically ignored him.  It then sat with them in the top of a large dead pine for a half hour while the parent crow fed the crows!  Finally the SS flew off looking rather despondent.
The day continued with 3 RT's, a SS and a Red-shouldered Hawk (adult somewhere near Randolph) between Montpelier and Newfane.
This morning 7-29 I woke up to the call of young Broad-wings.  There were two sitting in the big dead White Pine behind the house and calling for a good half an hour before my wife's coffee grinder terrorized them and they flew off!

Jeffrey J. Allen
Montpelier, Vermont 05602