To complement Kevin's helpful description, here are two really nice sets of
images:

Eyed Brown:
http://www.wisconsinbutterflies.org/butterflies/species/198

Appalachian Eyed Brown
http://www.carolinanature.com/butterflies/appalachianbrown.html

On these photos:

1) Note the little notch (pointing rearward) in the relatively straight
line on the underside of the hindwing (near the body) on Eyed Brown. You'll
see that little zig (or zag) not far from the leading edge of the hind
wing. Now note how straight that same line is in Appalachian Eyed Brown.

2) Also note in these images how undulating (almost zig-zag) the
post-median band is on the under-hindwing of Eyed Brown and how less curvy
(no zig-zag) it is in Appalachian Eyed Brown.

3) Eyed Browns are paler, and often look faded (even when they're kind of
fresh). Appalachian Eyed Brown tends to be a warmer gray-brown.

Of course, there are some in-betweeners that makes this all a challenge.

Best,
Bryan