Last year on this same date, July 20, I encountered a
colony of hickory hairstreaks in a small clearing next
to woods and wooded trail in the Equinox Preservation
Trust.  Today I revisited the same site to see if they
were present.  They were!  However, nothing like the
numbers of last year, at least yet. Last year this
little clearing was filled with Queen Anne's Lace and
Sweet White Clover.  They were all over it.  This year
those two nectaring sources are absent (can't figure
that one out, the site is not mowed)and the hickories
were down in the grasses, one on an old apple tree
branch, and one on the only Queen Anne's Lace flower.

Martha

martha