On 7/19/06, Marc Chrusch <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Patrick wrote:
> > > other locals. If it feels like typical Vermont skiing, why bother? ;-)
> >

> >Funny, but Scott recently posted a 10,000-word answer to that very
> >question...
>
> That's why I qualified with "typical" - those were distinctly
> atypical days....and many were not accessible if you lived more than
> an hour or two away and/or had an employer who had the quaint notion
> that you were expected to be at work most weekdays.
>
> -marc

All, good points, Marc, except maybe for the "atypical" part.

I know you've spent plenty of time in Vermont, but still, I think
you'd be surprised (even shocked) at what "typical" is in that corner
of VT. I believe Scott mentioned that almost all of his days included
at least some fresh snow. That does not surprise me at all.

He obviously has a good nose for sniffing it out, which is required
for it to be considered "typical conditions." The other things you
mentioned are not prerequisites in comparison to just plain knowing
where to go when you get the chance. Sure, living close by helps the
chances for going on a whim when flakes fall, but it is unimportant
when compared to "having a good nose" in the Stowe / Smuggs area. For
example, after being absent for about 18 months, I made a return visit
to the homeland and immediately found run after run of 12" deep
untouched all the way to closing time at Smuggs. Crossed very few
tracks, even after closing time in some far-off trees. That was after
a 2,000 mile drive and a rain/freeze followed by 4" new reported by
the resort. It wasn't really any different than when I lived 10
minutes away from the place.

I know you spent a lot of time in the Mad River Valley, which can be
really sweet, but also gets pounded down much harder by the contingent
of locals there.

There are locals in every locale, to be sure, but Scott spends the
bulk of his time in a much more friendly skier-per-acre environment
than most, if not all, resorts in VT.

So sure, sometimes the weather is downright nasty in Vermont, but it
coninues to amaze me that even some lifers there don't have a clue as
to how often the snow is quite good on their home mountains. Maybe it
takes more of a willingness to search, maybe more intuition, or some
combination of the two. But I do know this: after putting a little
time into really exploring, it is not difficult at all to know exactly
where to go when it snows, and where to go long after it snows.

And trying to explain that to someone from the west? Good luck!