My greatest fear in the backcountry is a broken femur.  This is a really
painful traumatic injury that often sends people into shock.  I have heard
of people carrying things like percoset etc. that are left over unused
after medical & dental procedures to treat the pain and therefore lessen
the possibility of shock.  I haven't done that; maybe I should.

On the Oct. 2004 Mt. Hood trip we heard about a guy climbing alone who
took a bad fall and broke his femur high up on the mountain.  It was late
in the day and he could not be rescued and so spent the night on the
mountain although the SAR people did treat him and keep him warm til
morning.  The next morning we saw him being brought down.  He was in high
spirits (and I mean really doped up) giving everybody the thumbs up sign.
We wished him well and thanked the rescue folks.