On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 21:05:28 -0400, Kevin Broderick <skivt-
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Your analysis, though, seems to presume that our reeb league handicap
>system is closer to NASTAR's handicapping than it is to "randomly
>making up crazy stuff", which may or may not be an accurate assertion.

Incorrect: I make no such presumption.  (Sorry that you wasted so much time
attempting to mock that nonexistent presumption, yet you seem to have
enjoyed writing it up even though it had no bearing on the actual content
of my message, so I supose that's okay.)

Since apparently I was insufficiently clear in my previous exposition, I
will try again:

1. The NASTAR system allows me to compare myself to racers against whom I
have never competed in the same course.  I was able to identify a Team
Gnarl member whose Sugarbush NASTAR results are fairly similar to my
Wachusett NASTAR results and therefore point to his performance in the
Bolton league as fairly similar to what would be expected of my performance
were I in that league.  This has absolutely nothing to do with any fixed-
heel vs. telemark comparisons or with the Bolton league scoring (although
it does presume that the Team Gnarl member skis the same at Bolton as he
does at Sugarbush, and the NASTAR system is working fairly consistently
between Sugarbush and Wachusett).

2. Knowing: a) what the telemarker in question thinks of night league
racing (alpine or xc), b) having skied with him on ice at Killington, and
c) never having him seen make a turn an ice that even remotely resembles gs
radius and gs speed, I am quite confident that he would not do well in an
alpine race league, regardless of the particular handicap scoring method.

As for the one-second telemark handicap, if true, that is not very fair to
telemark racers.  By contrast, the NASTAR handicap is 15 points, which
seems to be reasonable: although very difficult to determine in a
definitive manner, telemark skiers *tend* to finish *about* 15 points
behind fixed-heel racers of a comparable ability, and skiers who “switch
hit” and are equally adept at both *seem* to have about a 15-point gap.
Regardless of the fairness issue, based on my calculations (available upon
request), the Bolton second translates into a mere 6 NASTAR handicap points
maximum (i.e., as opposed to NASTAR’s 15 for telemarkers).  In reverse, a
Wachusett telemark racer on 17- and 23-second courses gets about 2.4 or 3.3
seconds (respectively) subtracted (depending on the pacesetter’s handicap).